Acne is a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. It often causes whiteheads, blackheads or pimples. Acne is most common among teenagers, though it affects people of all ages, the bane of many peoples existence! There are many Essential oils for acne.
Symptoms of Acne
Acne signs and symptoms vary depending on the severity of your condition.
- Small red bumps
- Large, solid, painful lumps under the surface of the skin
- Painful puss filled lumps under the skin
Causes of acne
Acne is usually caused by these four factors:
- Excess oil production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Excess activity of the androgens hormone – Androgen is a type of hormone, the levels of which rise when adolescence begins. In women, it gets converted into estrogen. Rising androgen levels cause the oil glands under the skin to grow. The enlarged gland produces more sebum. Excessive sebum can break down cellular walls in the pores, causing bacteria to grow.
Factors that may worsen acne
- Certain medications
- Diet – Skimmed milk and carbohydrate rich foods can be a huge factor in the worsening effect of your acne
Essential oils for acne
Tea tree oil or melaleuca is the key oil used for acne. It is used for its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that help to cleanse the skin. It helps to reduce skin inflammation and lessens redness. It carries anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that also decrease inflammation. It’s also an incredible gentle oil for the skin. Add tea tree oil to your cleansing soaps or dilute the oil with a carrier oil and apply to the affected areas.
The lavender essential oil is a good choice for acne as it’s a soothing and healing essential oil. It’s also very gentle to the skin. A huge benefit that lavender is an anti- inflammatory substance, so it can help soothe skin that’s inflamed during or after an acne attack.
Citrus oils, in general, are useful for treating acne because they are full of cleansing, antimicrobial and antiseptic actions. Sweet orange, in particular, is the best choice of essential oil because it is less harsh on the skin than the other citrus oils like lemon and lime.
Using rosemary essential oil will be the best to eliminate the excess oil in your skin due to its antibacterial agent. It is one of the best choices of essential oil to treat acne.
This oil is condensed through steam cleansing of the leaves and stems of lemons. It contains vitamins that repair your new skin cells and destroy dead cells in your skin that helps to lessen the black stain of acne and scars
Have you used any essential oils for acne? Let me know in the comments below.