Helix was gifted to me in exchange for a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This book is the second in the International Sensory Assassin Network so I will try not to spoil you guys for book one!
Author: Mary Ting
Publication Date: 10th September 2019
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi
Rating: 5 STARS
Alliances are forming. The resistance is growing. Everything is about to change.
With her memory still fragmented, Ava returns to the International Sensory Assassin Network (ISAN) to find the twin sister she never knew she had.
But as Ava hunts for information, she finds herself tangled in a web of yet more lies and conspiracy. The Helix serum may not be required to access her superpowers, and the number of male assassins—previously considered too volatile to tolerate Helix—is growing in every territory.
The more Ava uncovers, the more of a threat she becomes to ISAN. Her only salvation may be to join the rebels—if she isn’t killed first.
Because this is the second book I know I’m going to struggle a hell of a lot to give a spoiler free review of this book so I don’t ruin book one! So this review is going to be a bit different from my regular reviews. I will be using bullet points to give the main points of the book that I loved!
- Really relatable, loving and caring characters
- I loved the relationship dynamics between friends. It was so nice to see such great friendships form between both stories even though this is a dystopian type of society that you don’t really know who to trust and be open with.
- Badass female main character who doesn’t take shit from absolutely anyone and some pretty amazing female side characters who I really enjoyed reading about and getting to know. .
- I can’t really get into the plot of this story without spoiling book one but this story answered many questions that I had after book one which I really enjoyed.
- Full of action packed scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat.
- I really loved watching the relationship between our two main characters form and it was so cute that it made me smile so much!
- Huge character development of our main character as she faces many difficult revelations and decisions.
- Within Helix we learn a lot more background and history to this world in the sequel which I really enjoyed and felt better connected to this series.
- Intense, gripping read that I couldn’t put down at all. Huge tense scenes throughout Helix but we also have soft, fluffy moments between our two main characters which proided a nice relief in between those tense moments.
- I truly loved this book and I can’t wait to continue with this series.
About The Author
International Bestselling, Award-Winning Author Mary Ting writes soulful, spellbinding stories that excite the imagination and captivate readers all over the world. Her books run a wide range of genres and her storytelling talents have won her a devoted legion of fans and garnered critical praise.
Becoming an author happened by chance. It was a way to grieve the death of her beloved grandmother, and inspired by a dream she had in high school. After realizing she wanted to become a full-time author, Mary retired from teaching after twenty years. She also had the privilege of touring with the Magic Johnson Foundation to promote literacy and her children’s chapter book: No Bullies Allowed.
Mary resides in Southern California with her husband, two children, and two little dogs, Mochi and Mocha. She enjoys oil painting and making jewelry.