Hives or Urticaria appear in the form of red itchy bumps on the skin that look like some allergy, vary in sizes and last up to 6 to 12 hours. It is prevalent, but the cause for it is still very elusive. It can change the size and move around, disappearing from one place and reappearing at the other There are two types, Acute, which is typically short-lived and Chronic, the long term; the good news is that none of them are life-threatening.
What causes this?
They may resemble bug bites, but re totally different from that, it’s a condition caused due to the leaking of fluids from the mast cells in our skin, the release of a protein called histamine and other compounds, that leads to swelling and blanching.
What is blanching?
One of the common symptoms of Hives is ‘Blanching’ when you press the center of the red hive it makes it turn white which is called blanching, another sign includes ‘wheals’ or bumps, red or skin-colored and with transparent edges. The symptoms can last from anywhere between minutes to months. Although it isn’t contagious, the swelling, redness, and itchiness can cause irritation and uneasiness.
Don’t forget to check out preventive measures, while you sit back and wait for it to disappear,
· Avoid nuts, shellfish, eggs, and strawberries
· Don’t let that body temperature rise
· Avoid dust and pollen
· Avoid plant herbs like nettle and poison oak
· Avoid the sun, sweating can cause itching
· Restrain bathing and keep yourself dry
· Avoid exercise and any physical exertion
The goal is to control the symptoms, and the problem will be solved by itself. Using ingredients like camphor and menthol can help ease the itching and rashes, but did you know some amazing essential oils can work extremely fast?
5 essential oils that have proven to work well
Essential oils are useful and can treat many problems, naturally. Before we go on and talk about them, don’t forget about the most important rule, never use them undiluted essential oils without mixing them with a carrier oil like coconut, jojoba or almond. Undiluted oils can be powerful on the skin and act as an irritant, causing further rashes and allergies. Now let’s have a look at the list,
1. Tea tree oil: The best remedy for any skin condition, is packed with anti-bacterial properties and is often used in therapeutic as well as medical treatments. Tea tree oil maintains your skin’s natural pH, and without ripping it off the natural oils, it calms your skin as well as kills bacteria. It is beneficial against hives.
2. Neem oil: Hives are triggered due to the release of Histamines, the neem oil has antihistamine properties, that prevents it from alleviating. Moreover, it’s anti-microbial properties tackles bacteria and calms the redness and rashes.
3. Myrrh oil: A popular essential oil to treat hives due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps with itching and allergies. This is often used in aromatherapy to calm the body and mind, is rich in antifungal properties and aids in soothing the skin problems.
4. Lemon oil: Antiseptic and antioxidant, this is a powerful ingredient to control skin problems, especially the one dealing with redness and rashes. Make sure you don’t put it on the cuts or scratched skin, or it will burn and tingle a little, apply it around the area to call the reaction.
5. Frankincense: An amazing astringent and anti-inflammatory ingredient, it kills germs and bacteria and calms allergies and reactions. It also reduces pain and uneasiness and can work amazingly on the irritated skin.
How to use them?
The best way to use these oils is to mix a few drops with a spoonful of a carrier o. This makes it safe to be used on our skin. Dip a cotton pad into the oil or use your fingertips and gently apply it on and around the affected area, discontinue immediately if it stings too much.
While waiting for it to calm down, try these few simple things to feel a little better.
· Stay in a cool place
· Wear loose-fitting clothes
· Try distracting yourself with some good music
All you must do is avoid scratching, for as much as possible.
When to see a doctor?
Mostly a condition like this is treatable at home, but in case you observe any of these symptoms don’t wait for any further and seek medical assistance,
· Difficulty in breathing
· Chest tightness
· Swelling around the mouth, especially the lips
While consulting a doctor is a safe option, keep yourself stress – free because it’s easily treatable and not at all threatening.