Before 2018 I had never heard of essential oils but since being introduced to them I absolutely love them and use them each and every day. Alternative therapies have become very popular these past few years. Before you begin an alternative therapy whether it’s essential oils or not you need to do a lot of research to make sure you are safe. Since being introduced to essential oils I have done a lot of research to learn how they work, etc. So today I am going to help you with understanding essential oils.
All the information within this post has been taken and learned from Neal’s Yard Remedies: Essential oils book.
Essential oils are a great alternative therapy that has become a huge part of my life. These are a great way to live a more natural and healthy lifestyle but it is very important that you learn as much as you can because essential oils are very potent With a small amount of research and common sense you can incorporate essential oils into your life. Highly potent oils have to be used in small amounts and needs to be diluted for safe use of essential oils.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are highly concentrated essences derived from plants. Today these oils are used in aromatherapy, fragrances, cooking and so much more! They have a long history of natural healing. These oils harness a plants therapeutic properties to restore balance to the mind, body and spirit. Every single plant plant contains essential oils. These oils can be extracted from the seeds, the leaves, bark, root, flowers, peel or resin.
What’s in an oil?
A single essential oil can contain as many as 100 different chemical components. These work together to give these oils their amazing benefits and odor. Each component within the oil plays a role on the body and mind but some may be more stronger than others. They are made up of mjor, minor and trace components which all work together and contribute to the oils smell and benefits.
How do essential oils work?
Our sense of smell is more sensitive and works faster than our other four senses. Chemicals in a smell can trigger many responses that can affect our mind. Essential oils can work holistically on the mind, the body and the spirit by bringing balance and healing.
On the mind:
Essential oils can help to promote a state of mind. They can help to
- Enhance wellbeing and mood : Chamomile is a calming oil and can help to balance emtions.
- Promote relaxation : Lavender has deeply relaxing properties and helps me sleep!
- Improve concentration and focus : Rosemary is one of the best oils to clear the mind which in turn helps with concentration and focus.
- Balance energy : Geranium is the oil to use to help balance your emotions and lift your mood.
On the body:
Essential oils are natural healers and can have medicinal effects on the body. Some of these effects are
- works as an antiseptic: Tea tree essential oil is a great antiseptic and is known by many people.
- Relieve pain and reduce inflammation : Thyme has a warming property which can provide gentle pain relief.
- Can help to cleanse : Orange oil can help cleanse and detoc your body.
- Boosts immunity : Sage can help to boost your immunity
- Influence hormones : Basil is known for balancing your hormones.
I hope this post gives you more understanding of essential oils. Before you start to use essential oils it is important that you do all of your research to make sure that you are using them safely. You can buy your own Neal’s Yard Remedies: Essential oil book through my Amazon link. This means that I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Any support is appreciated!
You may also like: Eucalyptus essential oil spotlight